Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Annals of Sibling Rivalry

From his 1980 debut solo album, please enjoy Kinks legend Dave Davies and the quite remarkable "Imagination's Real."









I know I had the LP version of this, and in fact I'm almost positive that I reviewed it for The Magazine Formerly Known as Stereo Review. On the other hand, I have absolutely no recollection of what I said about it -- although given my unfamiliarity with the record since, I suspect I thought it wasn't as clever as its cover art. In any event, having chanced across a digital version recently, I'm frankly very pleasantly surprised by how nice the album mostly is.



As you can hear, it's not remotely in what you might have thought was Dave's style (he plays and sings every note on the album, BTW), and the production is extremely bare bones (apparently deliberately). That said, I absolutely lurve the guitars on this one, and there's really something quite interesting and haunting about the whole thing.



[h/t Willard's Wormholes]