Thursday, August 5, 2010

Weekend Listomania (Special Sign o' the Times Audio/Video Edition)

Well, it's Friday and you know what that means. Yes, my charming Oriental quivering liver adjuster Fah Lo Suee and I are off to the San Diego, California home of former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney [R-Genetically Bred to be a Game Show Host]. Along with the Gov, we'll be hosting a rally in protest against this week's overturning of the state's anti-gay marriage Prop 8. Incidentally, an advance copy of Romney's speech reveals that he will be making the point that marriage hasn't changed in 2000 years (except, you know, for that whole Mormon thing). So right on Mitt!! as the kids say.

That being the case, and because posting around here will doubtless be fitful for the next few days, here's a fun little project to help us wile away the hours:

Post-Elvis Pop/Rock Song or Album That Best Embodies Our Current Cultural/Political Moment!!!

No arbitrary rules whatsoever, you're welcome very much. And although I suspect the theme is going to function as a sort of ink blot, ideologically speaking, let me stipulate that we appreciate hearing from all ends of the political spectrum. Although if you come across as a total dick I'll delete your comment so fast your head will spin. So there.

And my totally top of my head Top Six is...

6. Warren Zevon -- Mohammed's Radio



I was going to pick "Lawyers, Guns and Money" at first, but it struck me as a little too predictable.

5. Slade -- Mama Weer All Crazee Now



Or as I like to refer to it -- "The Official Teabagger Fight Song."

4. a-ha -- Scoundrel Days



Mostly for the title. Alas, to my knowledge nobody's actually written a song inspired by Lillian Hellman's "Scoundrel Time," which is really what I was looking for.

3. Joni Mitchell -- Slouching Towards Bethelehem




A more or less straight musical setting of Yeats' "The Second Coming," in case you hadn't noticed. "The best lack all conviction, the worst are full of passionate intensity yada yada yada," and rather depressingly apropos in 2010.

2. Mick Farren -- Vampires Stole My Lunch Money




Too bad Farren didn't get around to writing a title song for this one. I mean, really -- the album came out in 1978 and it's like he knew AIG was going to happen.

And the Numero Uno state-of-our-current-union toe tapper (c'mon, it's not even close, so just roll with it) undoubtedly is --

1. Gary US Bonds -- Out of Work




Song written by a guy who goes by the name of The Boss, BTW, which only adds to the irony.

Alrighty then -- what would YOUR choices be?

[Shameless Blogwhore: My parallel Cinema Listomania -- theme: best or most evocative film titles, exploitation flick or otherwise -- is now up over at Box Office. As always, if you could see your way to going over there and leaving a comment, it would convince management to foot the bill for my upcoming (third annual) trip to Dayton Ohio, France. Thanks!]