Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Da Bears!!!

More specifically, from the 1987 album by Adrian Belew's pop band of the (more or less) same name, here are The Bears. Channeling the spirit of the Revolver-era Beatles better than anybody this side of XTC with the utterly delightful psychedelic pop ditty "Raining."




That song just makes me grin from ear to ear. Jeebus, what a chorus.

Incidentally, the album cover is by the great Mad (magazine) artist Mort Drucker. I went to college with his lovely daughter, and Mort once did a very Mort-esque poster for a college theater production of the musical version of Canterbury Tales she and I were involved in. I don't remember much about the show at this point, although I seem to recall that I played King Arthur as Groucho. Hey, it was the 70s.

The poster was really cool in any case, but of course I lacked the foresight to keep a copy.