Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Welcome Back, Kocher

As you may recall, we had a little discussion around here a while back about whether or not The Lovin' Spoonful's 1965 hit "You Didn't Have to Be So Nice" was power pop or not. I said yes, unsurprisingly, although some disagreed.

In any case, I bring that up because I just made the mistake of downloading all five of John Sebastian's post-Spoonful Reprise albums over at Blank Frank's place. Because I vaguely remembered that there was a song on one of them that I had liked back in the day and that it was sort of power pop-ish as well.

Unfortunately, having now listened to the albums from stem to stern, I have no idea what that song might have been; either I dreamed it, or for whatever reason it's not there anymore. I should also add that -- with the exception of a decent remake of "Didn't Want to Have to Do It" and some sit-com theme whose title escapes me -- most of the stuff on all of those albums is (for me, anyway) now quite unlistenable on all sorts of levels.

That said -- this Spoonful song still just kills me, and I think it's most DEFINITELY proto-power pop. Or, at the very least, 1:55 seconds of sheer guitar-driven melodic bliss.




"There She Is," ladies and germs. God, what a great track.