Thursday, November 4, 2010

Weekend Listomania (Special In Everyone's Life There's a Bummer of 2010 Edition)

Well, it's Friday, and you know what that means. Yes, my Oriental secondary stimulus soubrette Fah Lo Suee and I are so upset about the election results that we're heading to beautiful downtown Monclova Township, Ohio, home of recently failed Congressional Republican candidate Rich Iott. Rich is a little down in the dumps right now, as you can imagine, so we're going to take his S.S. uniform to the dry cleaners for him while he gets over it. Seems like the right thing to do.

But seriously folks, I remember having a relevant discussion two years ago with a regular commenter here whose politics are way to the right of mine but who is a lovely, humane guy despite that grievous failing (heh). Anyway, he was extremely depressed after election day in '08, and I told him that I knew the feeling -- when the Republicans took over Congress in '94, I couldn't even leave the house for two weeks, and I was convinced there was going to be blood in the streets, blah blah blah.

In other words, take a deep breath, get some perspective, and get on with your life because it's not as bad as you think. It never is. Or at least it hasn't been so far.

My point being that after the results the other night I was surprised to discover that I wasn't actually all that upset. For a number of reasons that I won't bore you with (the name of this blog being, as I point out from time to time, PowerPop rather than PissedOffLeftie).

But I thought -- what if I had been?

Which of course leads us to the theme of today's Listomania.

Post-Elvis Song or Album That Either Reliably Helps You Get Over a Depression or If You Are Depressed Then You Absolutely Under No Circumstances Should Even Consider Listening to It Lest You Just Go Ahead and Slash Your Fricking Wrists!!!

Yes, I know we've probably done something similar in the past. I call statute of limitations, however.

And no arbitrary rules whatsoever, you're welcome very much.

And my totally Top of My Head Top Five is:

5. The Nairobi Trio -- Solfeggio



I'm sorry -- if you're still mopey after watching this, seek medical help.

4. Lou Reed -- Metal Machine Music



The one and only. Thankfully.

3. Phil Seymour -- Let Her Dance




I was re-reading Philip Norman's Buddy Holly bio (Rave On!, 1996) recently and he makes the point -- an accurate one, I think -- that when you mention Buddy Holly to anybody, inevitably their reaction is a smile. This is a particularly Holly-esque record, obviously (the song, of course, was originally recorded by Buddy acolyte Bobby Fuller) and I've blogged about it before, but the fact is I've never been so depressed that it didn't occasion the same reaction.

2. Bobby McFerrin -- Don't Worry, Be Happy



Go fuck yourself, McFerrin. Seriously. If for no other reason than that line about how you shouldn't worry if you're homeless. Now excuse me, while I kill myself.

And the Numero Uno song that's a must to avoid if you're in one of those moods quite self-evidently is...

1. Anything by Swans.



Back in the 80s I had a friend who used to listen to these guys obsessively. One night his girlfriend came home to find him sitting between the speakers with this stuff on, and she just looked at him and said "Why?"

Alrighty then -- what would your choices be?

[Shameless Blogwhore: My parallel Cinema Listomania -- theme: Best or worst use of voiceover or flashback in a live action feature -- is now up over at Box Office. As always, if you could spare a moment to go leave a snark-filled comment over there, it would solidify my bargaining position with the evil bastards who pay me. (I kid, I kid!). Thanks!]