Thursday, February 3, 2011

Weekend Listomania (Special Etaoin Shrdlu! Audio/Video Edition)

Well, it's Friday, and you know what that means. Yes, my Oriental [insert slightly salacious joke here] Fah Lo Suee and I are off to beautiful downtown Cairo, Egypt for the local premiere of Brendan Fraser's new film The Mummy IV: The Search for a Better Agent.

Could be a hot one!

That being the case, here's a hopefully fun little project to help us knit up the raveled sleeve of care in my absence:

Best Post-Elvis Title of A Pop, Rock or Soul Song!!!

No arbitrary rules that I can think of this time out, you're welcome very much, except don't try to sneak in an album title. We're talking about individual songs, if not necessarily ones that were released as singles.

And yes -- it strikes me as unlikely that we haven't done something as obvious as this particular theme around here before, but on careful reflection, I'm pretty sure that no, we haven't.

And my totally top of my head Top Six are:

6. King Hell -- Retarded Forces of Doom





These guys just slay me, in case I haven't mentioned it lately. Buy their album over at Amazon here. Right now. Seriously.

5. The Rolling Stones -- Moonlight Mile.



Instantly evocative, obviously, but better yet the song itself lives up to (and sounds like) the title. The record itself gets bonus points for being (as we learned while reading Keith Richards' autobiography) the best Rolling Stones track ever recorded without any input or participation by Mr. Richards.

4. Napoleon XIV -- Yawa Em Ekat Ot Gnimoc Er'yeht





For obvious reasons, obviously.

3. Warren Zevon -- Even a Dog Can Shake Hands



Perhaps his sunniest ode to the essential goodness of mankind.

2. Camper Van Beethoven -- Take the Skinheads Bowling



Let me just say, and for the record, that if you don't love this song and find it hilarious then I don't want to know you.

And the Numero Uno high concept moniker de la musique of them all simply has to be --

1. Nino Tempo and April Stevens -- I've Been Carrying a Torch for You So Long That I Burned a Great Big Hole in My Heart





The b-side of their sublime "Deep Purple," and although I've long chortled over the title, I must confess I'd never actually heard the track till yesterday. A pleasant surprise to find that it actually rocks, I must say, and Nino's falsetto is really a hoot.

Alrighty then -- what would your choices be?