Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Now I Know Why I Never Liked You, You Bastard!"

That line -- attributed to Keith Richards during the sessions with Mick Taylor for the posthumously released John Phillips album I posted about last week -- reminded me that the aforementioned Taylor made a major label solo album debut in 1979.

Which I know I must have heard back in the day, but have absolutely no memory of whatsoever.





Actually, if truth be told, I do vaguely remember the above song -- the album's opener "Leather Jacket" (presumably about the lead singer of Taylor's former band) -- and I vaguely remember thinking, at the time, that it was kind of cute in a jangly guitar sort-of power pop kind of way. Now I'm thinking it's closer to pro forma 70s California soft-rock, and given that Taylor's singing is at best serviceable, I'm not surprised it made so little impression on me. As for the rest of the album, I suppose I'll give it a listen, but the fact that the third song is titled, with dazzling originality, "Slow Blues"(!) leads me to think there's probably nothing on it I might have overlooked with impunity in 1979.