Monday, January 10, 2011

Regardez Par Des Fenetres

Because a record that remains in my all-time power pop Top 10 -- The Hollies' 1965 "Look Through Any Window" (written by the great Grahame Gouldman) -- can only sound better...




...when sung in French.

Can't you just smell the elitist chardonnay and runny cheeses they were scarfing down while they recorded this?

Seriously, I stumbled across it and a bunch of other Hollies rarities the other day; naturally, I immediately gravitated to the previously unknown to me foreign language track. It is, of course, no secret that you're dealing with a guy who considers The Monkees Italian version of their tv show theme to be one of the most important cultural artifacts of the second half of the 20th century.

Oh, BTW, and harkening back to our little discussion about "You Didn't Have to Be So Nice" a while ago, I think we can all agree that if this record (in either language) isn't bona fide power pop, then nothing is.